- See more at: http://labstrikes.blogspot.com.ng/2014/12/divide-blog-post-into-pages.html#sthash.8hpLHWXu.dpuf NEVER ENDING LISTS OF NIGERIA'S ONE HIT WONDERS. ~ THE CELEBRITY DIARY

Follow on Facebook

Tuesday 10 May 2016

Filled Under:

NEVER ENDING LISTS OF NIGERIA'S ONE HIT WONDERS.

trending




Now before we start, let me clarify what I really mean here by 'one hit wonders'. A one hit wonder is not necessarily an artist with just one mega hit. Basically any artist that falls massively short of the
early promise shown at the beginning of his career such that his 'legacy' is totally forgotten belongs on this list. Our industry has really grown and is at its most competitive state ever. Even one hit single hardly lasts over a month as said by rapper ILL BLISS. This article focuses on music artistes that have flattered to deceive. In no particular order, below is a list of some notorious One Hit Wonders- The ones I can remember of course! Enjoy!

1) LORD OF AJASA;
     To think he was involved in a little feud with late hiphop icon Dagrin over who was the better               rapper before the latter died makes me wanna shake my head right now. Lord of Ajasa caught the eye with his breakout single Esalobade and then warmed himself into our hearts with the 9ice assisted Le Fenu So. Too bad its safe to say his last hit was an appearance on 'My Pain' a tribute track in honour of Dagrin. Guess his career died with Dagrin and never ressurected. 









2) BIGIANO
     Rewind back to the year 2007. The undisputed club banger was Bigiano's Shayo. It was a certified Smash with a dope video to go with. Everyone was alerted to this new kid on the block. The song was so big it reportedly made the sales of alcohol drinks rise uncontrollably. I guess the song became too big for even Bigiano's liking, he got angry with himself and decided to wait eight years for his next release. Result? All I remember is a creepy video with the dude repeatedly screaming 'I'M BACK' 'SEWERE' blablabla. R.I.P Bigiano's career. At least boys still dey shayo





3) MP
    With smash hits like 'No dull yourself' and 'PasaPasa' You remember yeah? MP was on a roll! Back to back hits, shows all over the country. He was on the right track until he left.  








4) BLACKFACE
    Blackface aka Blackface 9ja aka I write all Nigerian hits but sing none. This is one generous man if you ask me. It's a pity blackface find's his name on this list cos once upon a time he was 'Ahead of the game'. Guess his vehicle was on reverse. When you look back on how reverred 2face and Faze are in the music industry today, one can only shake his head to the story of Blackface's career. He wrote Baba Nla by Wizkid, Let Somebody Love You and African Queen by 2face, Tekno's Duro, matter of fact I won't be surprised if tomorrow he claims to have written this article. 








5) DJINEE
     Now where do I start from? 'EGO' was huge. Like smash! Then there was his collaboration with M.I on Safe, also 'I no dey shame' which still remains my personal favourite, then Overkilling to mention but a few. Then he made his biggest career mistake yet. Featuring the next person on this list on his track(I can't even remember the name of the track... I bet you can't lol) . I guess thats the only explanation of how fried rice turned to 'kulikuli'







6) MUNA
    EX beauty queen and musician Muna(cos I don't think she's allowed to introduce herself as a musician nowadays) came into the industry with FIRE(Dont be deceived na just candle she hold) I sha remember she used to rap. She had one good joint with Waje those days and then she just vanished like ........





7) KELLY HANSOME
     A part of me still feels Kelly Hansome  shouldn't be on this list but let's face it. He will always look book on his career and imagine what could have been. After winning our hearts with hits like 'Maga don pay', 'My True Love' 'Like Play' and most recently 'Igwe'(oops that was 6 years ago) Kelly Hansome just fell off. Not one to go quietly, he famously dissed the now defunct Mo'Hits All Stars and Choc Boiz. I think we all know how that ended. 'In M.I's voice Kelechukwu clap for yourself. Well done!




8) WEIRD MC
     From Ijoya to Bizzy Body remix to D'banj's 'Jasi' cover, to fighting with B-Red over his song 'Iwaju', Weird MC's career that promised a lot has sadly ended abruptly. Nowadays the only thing that reminds me of her is her striking resemblance to Chelsea's Brazillian playmaker Willian. Maybe she should have just played football!






9) SOTY
     Singer of personally one of my best Nigerian songs of all time 'Malaria', This talented songstress just switched off.  I really don't know what to thnk right now. Maybe she stole the song.lol I mean you can't just sing such a masterpiece and go off the rader. Enough said.





10) ISOLATE
      I'm not about to define an English word. Even if Isolate probably feels isolated wherever he is now. This is a guy 9ice reportedly dissed because of he had too much potential that made 9ice at his peak feel threatened. Isolate came strong with the party anthem 'Igo Kan' and the rest they say is history? Too bad history doesn't remember him so well. It took hours of surfing the internet to find his picture. He reportedly paid nice a visit with Igo Kan to beg for a collabo. 9ice agreed(Omuti radarada) But its a pity the song will be best remembered as a forgotten song.








11) SEAN TERO
    After the success of 'Kolo' You remember that jam. Of course you do. This artist decided to rest on his laurels. No. I think he let the lyrics of his song get to him. He smoked his career down to ashes. Word on the street is Sean Tero is now the biggest Igbo dealer on the mainland. I guess the song was an advertisement.





12) AY.COM
      The great AY.COM. I still have 'Pass me your love' on my laptop as I write this song. That was a jam! Then there was the remix, then another song 'Jayelo' which is currently not anywhere on the internet. AY.COM was doing fine for himself until he fought with Terry G over the latter performing his song at an event he was also billed to perform at later(You see!!! One hit wonder!)  I'm sure if you saw AY' walking on your street you wouldn't recognise him. Enough said.


You can add yours in the comment box below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Topics

Contact us

Magazine

Follow us on FaceBook

 

We are featured contributor on entrepreneurship for many trusted business sites:

  • Copyright © THE CELEBRITY DIARY™ is a registered trademark.
    Designed by Templateism | Distributed by Templatelib